How to check your CRB status if you default on a loan
A Credit Reference Bureau is an organisation that monitors the behavior of a lendee to enable lenders deal with non-performing loans and reduce the loan default risk.
There are several CRBs licensed by the Central Bank of Kenya to collect, manage and share financial information. They include:
- TransUnion (CRB Africa)
- Metropol Corporation
To check your CRB status on TransUnion:
- You first need to register by sending your full names to 21272. The SMS charges is sh. 19. To save on this money, download the TransUnion Nipashe app.
- You then enter your ID number
- Choose Credit Status
- You will receive your CRB status. If you receive good, it means you are not blacklisted while default means blacklisted.
To check your status on Metropol Corporation:
- First pay a registration fee of sh.50 through the paybill number 220388 then enter your ID number as the account number.
- You will get a SMS with a unique pin, a reference number and a special link
- Dial *433# and put your PIN and you will receive your CRB status. You can also visit the metropol website, Login and view you status.
To check your status on CreditInfo, you will need to fill their request form online.
The likelihood of getting listed by CRB is very high if you default on a loan.
In order to get yourself out of the list, you have to clear your outstanding loan (s).
If you are unable to clear it in one go, you can negotiate the terms of repayment with your lender.
For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel
Video Of The Day: | WESTLANDS UNDERWORLD | Crooks, gov’t officials named in plot to grab man’s property