How to make soft, tasty pancakes
- Crepes basically mean "thin pancakes". This is cooked by most people round the world for breakfast or brunch, served with juice or a hot beverage.
- Too hot pans burn your crepes, and warm pans make your crepes take too long to brown making them rubbery.
- You can serve it with chocolate sauce/syrup,strawberry fruits/sauce,raspberry sauce,nutella, jam, lemon juice e.t.c
Thin pancakes which are actually known as crepes, are cooked by many people around the world for breakfast or as a snack.
They are usually served with juice or a hot beverage when eaten for breakfast. As a snack, you can use ice-cream among other toppings listed below.
The art of making them right has however not been mastered as some complain that theirs stick to the pan while others come out either too dry or uncooked.
Crepes are very easy to make; they do not require you to have complicated chef skills or constantly refer to YouTube cooking videos.
All you need is:
- 1 cup of all purpose flour
- 2 spoonfuls of sugar
- 1 tsp of salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 and a quarter cups of milk
- melted butter
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract(optional)
- Bananas and Almonds (optional)
- Get a bowl and pour in the flour
- Add the sugar, salt and whisk
- Find a different bowl and beat two eggs into it (use eggs and milk that are at room temperature,to avoid solidifying the melted butter ;you don’t want that)
- Add milk
- Get melted butter and add into the previous mixture. Keep whisking
- Add the vanilla extract (optional)
- Gradually add contents of the wet bowl into the one with dry flour as you keep whisking to achieve desired consistency.
- To avoid lumps strain using a sieve but if you are mixing using a blender or mixer, lumps will not be present.
- Add bananas or almonds if you want to. Bananas make the pancakes soft and filling while almonds or walnuts enrich the taste.
- Cover with plastic film and let it sit for an hour or less
Now, here’s the tricky part. What you need to keep in mind to get soft pancakes hence your pan,the heat and how much butter you use matters a lot for your end result…
NB: Non-stick pans work best: pans that are too hot will burn your pancakes and those that are not hot enough will make them rubbery. Too much butter also makes pancakes greasy. Pans that are too thick or too thin are also not ideal.
- Pre-heat your pan using medium heat
- Melt the butter for a minute or two
- Once pan is ready, add five or six tablespoons of the batter and swirl by lifting up the pan.
- Let it cook for 1-2 minutes
- Pick out the pancake from the sides and slowly flip it to avoid ruin
- The underside should be evenly browned by the time you are turning it
- Once the other side has also browned remove and serve with a hot or cold beverage
Savoury toppings for pancakes: Ice-cream, Chocolate chips, honey, banana slices, chocolate syrup, strawberries, a dash of icing sugar sifted on top, raspberry sauce, Nutella or Jam.
Thank me later!
For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel
Video Of The Day: | WESTLANDS UNDERWORLD | Crooks, gov’t officials named in plot to grab man’s property