Nigeria’s Burna Boy to headline South Africa concert after blasting gov’t over xenophobic attacks
Nigerian artiste Burna Boy will be performing at the Africa Unite concert in South Africa despite vowing never to visit the country again following the xenophobic attacks.
Burna Boy is slated to headline at the concert that has been slated for November 23 at Hillcrest Quary within the Durbanville area of Cape Town
”The first of many! Part of the proceeds will be donated to the victims of xenophobic attacks by me!” The Nigerian artiste said of the concert.
He also urged people to give their own contribution towards making the world a better place for humanity.
According to CNN, the Africa Unite concert, ironically, is organized by a Nigerian marketing company identified as Play Network.
Other artistes who will be performing include Kwesta and Busiswa who are from South Africa and Nigeria’s Jidenna who pledged to give tickets to the #KFCproposal couple.
Earlier this year, tensions arose in South Africa as xenophobic attacks continued to escalate with Nigerians hardest hit.
Burna Boy said on Twitter: ”I have not set foot in SA since 2017. And I will NOT EVER go to South Africa again for any reason until the SOUTH AFRICAN government wakes the f**k up and really performs A miracle because I don’t know how they can even possibly fix this.”
Other artistes condemned the attacks terming them as heinous.
The BBC reported Tiwa Savage announcing on Twitter that she had pulled out of a concert that had been organized to take place in South Africa in September.
She said the xenophobic attacks were “the barbaric butchering of my people”.
I refuse to watch the barbaric butchering of my people in SA. This is SICK. For this reason I will NOT be performing at the upcoming DSTV delicious Festival in Johannesburg on the 21st of September. My prayers are with all the victims and families affected by this.
— Tiwa Savage (@TiwaSavage) September 4, 2019
The Nigerian government later boycotted the World Economic Forum meeting that was held in Cape Town, South Africa as Zambian football association also cancelled an international friendly match.
For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel
Video Of The Day: | BULLDOZERS FOR SANITIZERS | Families remain in the cold after evictions from Kariobangi sewage estate