Migori MCAs hospitalised in Mombasa with Cholera-like symptoms
Fifteen Members of County Assembly (MCAs) from Migori and several county staff were rushed to various hospitals in Mombasa with cholera-like symptoms.
The MCAs had been booked at a hotel in Mombasa for a three-day induction and were taken ill after having supper on Saturday. They had eaten meat, chicken, fish, rice and chapatti before later suffering from diarrhea and vomiting.
It was later confirmed that the ward representatives had suffered food poisoning and not Cholera, which has claimed four people in the Coastal city.
Speaking to Citizen Digital on phone, East Kanyamkago MCA Bonn Oremo said that one of the doctors who attended to them said the food they consumed might have been uncooked hence the infection.
Mr. Oremo confirmed that none of his colleagues was in danger since majority had been treated and discharged.
Addressing the media from his hospital bed, one of the MCAs said “We were 57 MCAs but only 15 MCAs were affected… I almost died due to diarrhea and vomiting. I was the most affected.”
Meanwhile, the Kenya Red Cross Society (KRCS) Secretary-General Abbas Gullet last week said 18 counties had cholera outbreaks since January.
He blamed governors for failing to address crucial health and environmental issues that have contributed to the spread of diseases such as cholera.
“Governors should come up with serious issues. If you look at almost all the 47 counties, heaps and heaps of garbage are pilling. We cannot even collect trash,” said Mr Gullet, citing Nairobi and Mombasa as among counties with heaps of uncollected garbage.
For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel
Video Of The Day: KEMRI scientists examine safety of anti-malarial drugs in first trimester of pregnancy