8-year-old girl dies in Kirinyaga after eating Githeri


8-year-old girl dies in Kirinyaga after eating Githeri

A seven-year-old girl has died after eating a plate of Githeri at the Mutithi ward in Kirinyaga county.

Citizen Digital understands that Sharon Muthoni was admitted to the Sagana Sub-county hospital where she succumbed to a suspected case of food poisoning.

Also admitted were two others; 12-year-old Ruth Wandia and Agnes wanjiru who were rushed to the Murang’a County Hospital.

According to the Director of Health Kirinyaga county George Karoki, Muthoni succumbed while undergoing treatment with reports indicating she had consumed poisonous githeri.

“At first we thought it was cholera, but the test results were negative’, Karoki said.

According to the family members led by John Muriithi, five people took the meal that had been prepared by their mother.

Soon after, four of them started complaining of severe stomach aches. They were also retching and vomiting.

Two of the family members were however not affected by the meal that left one dead and two hospitalised.

‘Derich Murimi and his uncle Jackson Muthii were not affected by the meal’ Muriithi added.

The two who are recuperating at the Murang’a hospital are said to be in stable condition and may be discharged any time.

Mwea-west sub-county police commander Abdillahi Adan Alio said police have launched investigations into the matter to ascertain what transpired.

For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel



Video Of The Day: | BULLDOZERS FOR SANITIZERS | Families remain in the cold after evictions from Kariobangi sewage estate

Avatar
Story By Johnson Muriithi
More by this author