Another building collapses in Huruma estate
The National Disaster Management Unit (NDMU) has called on the County Government of Nairobi to move with speed and resolve any issues that have slowed down the demolition of condemned buildings.
This comes after an unoccupied building that was set to be demolished in Huruma collapsed Friday night.
The building is said to have been constructed near the one that collapsed a month ago, leaving 52 people dead.
National Disaster Management Unit Deputy Director Pius Masai said no casualties or missing persons have been reported so far.
Masai has urged members of the public to be cautious and avoid moving close to structures that have been earmarked for demolition to avoid tragedies.
In mid May, most owners of the buildings earmarked for demolition in Huruma Estate obtained court orders stopping the government from bringing them down.
According to Masai, following the court orders, lead authorities were forced to stop the demolition exercise in Huruma estate.
About 226 buildings in Nairobi County that do not meet construction standards have been earmarked for demolition.
In Early May, the building inspectorate secretary in the Public Works Ministry, Moses Nyakiohoro, told Citizen Digital that so far 2,601 buildings have been inspected in a bid to clear the county of dangerous structures.
For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel
Video Of The Day: Some MPs plan to shoot down Uhuru\'s proposal on VAT