Black December as accidents claim 180 people in 19 days
Kenya has lost at least ten people everyday to road accidents since December 1, as the final month of the year proves to be deadliest.
As the state unveiled what they deem as radical measures, it was revealed that the 180 died as a result of: speeding, lane indiscipline, driving under the influence of alcohol, poor overtaking, presence of other users,obstacles and animals on the roads.
The government, through the National Transport and Safety Authority (NTSA) on Tuesday released a new list of tough measures in a bid to tame the high number of accidents.
According to the new raft of guidelines, drivers will also be required to drive for a maximum of eight hours as stipulated by law.
Below are some of the measures revealed today…
- The government has mapped out risky areas in the country which include the Northern Corridor, Nairobi-Thika-Sagana highway, Mai Mahiu-Narok-Kisii highway and Kericho-Kisumu-Kisii-Ahero highway. The police and NTSA will enhance surveillance and enforcement of traffic rules for these areas.
- The police will crack down on all Public Service Vehicles (PSVs) owners, Saccos and companies whose vehicles are unroadworthy.
- The police will crack down on PSVs and vehicles operating at night illegally Owners and drivers of the vehicles will be prosecuted.
- NTSA will create a database for all of all PSVs and Heavy Commercial Vehicles
- Drivers who commit traffic offences will be blacklisted.
- Employers will be required to check driver history before employment
- Licenses for PSVs allowed to operate at night will be reviewed and those who flout traffic rules will be banned.
- NTSA will categorize all PSVs based on their road safety records. SACCOs with poor records will be deregistered.
- NTSA will tow away all vehicles which stall on roads for more than one hour.
- PSV and heavy commercial vehicle drivers who drive under the influence of alchohol will have their licenses revoked.
- All drivers who speed and cause death by dangerous driving will have their licenses revoked and face the death sentence for murder.
For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel
Video Of The Day: | WESTLANDS UNDERWORLD | Crooks, gov’t officials named in plot to grab man’s property