Blow to NYS scandal suspects as court extends orders freezing bank accounts

High Court Judge Jessie Lessit has extended orders freezing bank accounts of suspects charged over the Ksh.468 million National Youth Service (NYS).

Delivering her ruling on Monday, Justice Lessit agreed with the Assets Recovery Agency that more time is needed to complete investigations into the accounts over claims of money laundering.

“I am satisfied from submissions made by the investigator that the prayers sought are justified for purposes of enabling investigations into funds held in the said accounts,” she ruled.

Last week, the Assets Recovery Agency moved to court seeking extension of orders freezing 11 bank accounts held by NYS suspects.

In the application dated September 4, the agency, through lawyer Jennifer Gitiri, told the court that it was yet to conclude investigations into the bank accounts of those adversely mentioned in the scam.

The freezing orders which were first issued in May this year were set to expire on Monday next week.

Also Read:

  1. DPP seeking maximum sentence for NYS fraud suspects
  2. Court declines to adjourn NYS scandal case again
  3. Cabinet approves radical measures to stop NYS looting

For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel

Video Of The Day: On Viusasa, now you can download your videos and play them back later