Census to close on Saturday midnight

Census to close on Saturday midnight

The government now says that over 95 percent of households have so far been enumerated in the 2019 Kenya housing and population census.

According to Planning Principal Secretary Saitoti Torome, the government hopes to have completed the remaining five percent by midnight, Saturday, when the exercise comes to a close.

“Since we have covered over 95 percent we expect that the remaining 5 percent will be covered within the remaining time. We don’t see the need to extend the enumeration…,” said Torome.

To facilitate maximum coverage, the exercise will continue all day Saturday until midnight.

Those yet to be counted were once again urged to report to the chief or call a toll free line – 0800221020.

“Those who have tried to incite or hindered others from being counted have been arraigned and faced the full force of the law,” said Torome.

The exercise which is fully catered for by the tax payer to a tune of Ksh.18.5 billion saw some 138,572 enumerators deployed to all corners of the Republic, each enumerator allocated 100 households.

“I don’t think there is any place in Kenya where we gave them fewer enumerators. Mapping was done and we established an enumeration area. In Balambala there was a court order and we deployed more enumerators,” noted Torome.

The government insists the data will be crucial for planning especially on issues of resource allocation.

“ We appeal for patience as the data collected is being processed,” he added.

For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel

Video Of The Day: KEMRI scientists examine safety of anti-malarial drugs in first trimester of pregnancy

Citizen Reporter
Story By Citizen Reporter
More by this author