CORD headed to court to stop IEBC from conducting Jubilee primaries
The opposition Coalition for Reforms and Democracy (CORD) has threatened to move to court to stop the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) from conducting the Jubilee Party primaries set for April.
Head of the CORD Secretariat, Norman Magaya, says the court had already ruled that the IEBC cannot use tax payers’ money to conduct political parties’ primaries accusing the ruling coalition of planning to use public resources in its nominations.
Magaya says the electoral body should be focusing on delivering a credible election in August instead of planning to conduct nomination for political parties.
He further argues that the move by the Jubilee administration to use IEBC to conduct its primaries is a clear indication that the President Uhuru Kenyatta and his deputy William Ruto led faction has no enough resources to conduct its nominations.
“Jubilee has no funds to bankroll its nominations, they want to seek for funds from Treasury for the exercise which is illegal,” said Mr Magaya.
“IEBC has no capacity to conduct party nominations and they risk damaging their credibility should they conduct Jubilee nominations.”
On Friday, February 18, IEBC Chairman, Wafula Wanyonyi Chebukati, met with Jubilee Party officials and agreed to form a three-member team to come up with modalities of conducting the Jubilee nominations.
For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel
Video Of The Day: | BULLDOZERS FOR SANITIZERS | Families remain in the cold after evictions from Kariobangi sewage estate