Court reverses Nyong’o decision to sack 8 Kisumu officers
Kisumu County Governor Anyang’ Nyong’o has suffered another blow after the court dismissed his appeal seeking to overturn a High Court decision reinstating sacked chief officers.
In the judgment read by Justice Hannah Okwengu on Thursday, the judges upheld the earlier decision saying Governor Nyong’o had no unilateral powers to sack the 8 chief officers.
Justice Okwengu said unlike County Committee Executive members, contract of employment of a chief officer is not tied to the term of office of a governor in office during the employment period.
She said the Governor ought to have concluded the County Public Service Board (PSB) and the County Assembly before sending the officers on compulsory leave and later sacking them.
The judge further noted that it is the PSB’s role to identify suitable candidates through competitive sourcing before forwarding the names to the governor.
The Governor then identifies nominees subject to Board’s recommendations, she added.
In August last year, upon taking office, Governor Nyong’o sent 14 Chief Officers packing but eight of them moved to court to challeng the decision.
However, Justice Maurine Onyango, of the Employment and Labour Relations Court in Kisumu, reinstated the officers.
For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel
Video Of The Day: Different journeys, same destiny: The story of top two candidates | KCSE 2020 |