CS Munya: Stop sending us photos of locusts, we are using science
- In his statement to the media a day after his appointment, Munya acknowleged the gravity of the locust invasion confirming swarms were in 8 counties so far
- In what was a highlight of his presser, Munya reversed ex-CS Mwangi Kiunjuri's earlier decree and asked Kenyans to stop sending the government photos of locusts.
Newly appointed Cabinet Secretary for Agriculture Peter Munya has outlined the government’s plan in battling the locust menace.
His first order of business was reversing his predecessor Mwangi Kiunjuri’s order where he asked Kenyans to send the government photos of locusts for identification.
“If you see any insect that you suspect could be a locust, take a picture and post on social media so we can confirm for you what insect it really is,” Mr. Kiunjuri said.
Mr. Munya explained that the ministry had already deployed competent people on the ground who were employing scientific methods to identify the locusts.
“Please stop sending us photos of locusts anymore, we already have competent people on the ground who are using scientific methods to identify them,” he said.
In his statement to the media a day after his appointment, Munya acknowleged the gravity of the locust invasion confirming swarms were in eight counties so far.
He also confirmed that the government had dispatched two planes to spray the locusts in Isiolo and Meru.
Pesticide has also been sent to Wajir and Garissa which are some of the worst hit.
Additionally, he said the government was planning to hire three more planes, release over 20,000 liters of pesticide in dealing with the menace.
Four other planes have also been deployed to the areas that are being sprayed to keep tabs on the progress.
CS Munya also refuted rumours that the swarms of locusts had been sighted in Turkana and at the same time, lauded private entities who were working with the government in eradicating the pests.
For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel
Video Of The Day: | TEEN PREGNANCY PANDEMIC | Many girls will not resume schools when they partially open on Monday