Death toll from last week’s northwest Nigeria attack doubles to 130


Death toll from last week's northwest Nigeria attack doubles to 130
A Nigerian flag is seen outside Nigeria Trade Office after Nigerian request to Taiwan to relocate its representative office in the African country, in Taipei, Taiwan January 12, 2017. REUTERS/Tyrone Siu

In Summary

  • Nasir el-Rufai told reporters that police were still investigating the gunmen’s motive.
  • The attack last Friday came the day before a presidential election was supposed to be held, but electoral authorities delayed the vote by one week due to logistical challenges.

The death toll from an attack last week by gunmen in northwestern Nigeria’s Kaduna State has doubled to more than 130 people, the state governor said on Tuesday, adding that the motive appeared to be ethnic.

Nasir el-Rufai told reporters that police were still investigating the gunmen’s motive. The attack last Friday came the day before a presidential election was supposed to be held, but electoral authorities delayed the vote by one week due to logistical challenges.

There was no indication that the attack was related to the election.

For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel



Video Of The Day: 5 people dead, 32 rescued, 27 unaccounted for in Tassia building collapse

Avatar
Story By Reuters
More by this author