Death toll in Kisii collapsed building hits seven
The death toll in the collapsed building in Kisii Town reached seven after one more body was retrieved from the rubble Friday, November 11 morning.
There are fears more people are still trapped inside the rubble of the collapsed building after the 11-storey building under construction collapsed on Thursday afternoon.
National Disaster Management Unit (NDMU) Director, Pius Maasai, says rescue operations are still ongoing at the site of the tragedy to save more people who are still trapped under the rubble of the building.
The ill-fated building located along Darajamoja-Nyamataro bypass in Kisii Town was under construction when it tilted and tumbled.
30 masons were reportedly working on the building owned by a senior civil servant who hails from Bomachoge Constituency, but based in Nairobi when the tragedy struck.
Kisii Governor, James Ongwae, who was accompanied by a team of senior officers from Kisii and Nyamira Counties visited the scene and faulted the defunct Kisii Town Council for approving the construction of the ill-fated building, whose collapse also affected the adjacent buildings.
Ongwae, however, assured the residents that county equipment and Kisii Teaching and Referral Hospital had been facilitated and mobilized to save lives.
On his part, Kisii County Commissioner, Kula Hache, said action will be taken against officers found to be negligent.
Hache further criticized members of the public for jamming the scene thwarting rescue efforts and endangering their lives.
Nyamira Governor, John Nyagarama, said the tragedy was indicative that things were wrong in terms of approving building plans.
Nyagarama pledged to provide machinery from his county to assist in the rescue operations.
At least 17 survivors are still recuperating at the Kisii Level Five Hospital.
For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel
Video Of The Day: | BULLDOZERS FOR SANITIZERS | Families remain in the cold after evictions from Kariobangi sewage estate