Defiant Buzeki tells DP Ruto he will not quit race
Uasin Gishu gubernatorial hopeful, Kiprop Bundotich alias Buzeki, will not pull out of the race even after calls from Deputy President William Ruto to have him step down and support Governor Jackson Mandago.
On Saturday, May 10 deputy president, during a rally in Kapsaret, Uasin Gishu County, had called upon the businessman to shelve his ambitions and support the incumbent in the August 8, 2017 polls in what was seen as Ruto trying to mend a possible fallout within the Jubilee Party.
Mr. Buzeki held a press conference shortly after the deputy president William Ruto asked him to step down to clear the uncertainty and vowed that his name will be on the ballot in August.
“I will not resign to support Mr. Mandago as the DP has said. I have my own transformative agenda which will help the people of Uasin Gishu and I am determined to be governor come August. My name will be on the ballot in August,” said Mr. Buzeki.
Buzeki, who is running on an independent ticket, lost the Jubilee primaries to Mandago but has been described as a fierce challenger, owing to his financial muscle and claims that he was receiving the backing of Mr. Ruto, until now.
Last week, outgoing Nakuru Governor, Kinuthia Mbugua, who lost in the Jubilee primaries, dropped his bid on an independent ticket to support Jubilee’s Lee Kinyanjui.
For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel
Video Of The Day: Former sports CS Hassan Wario convicted over Rio games scam