Drama as suspect fires female lawyer in court, says he wants ‘a man’
Lawyer Willy Kimani’s murder case has taken a new twist after one of the accused persons withdrew the services of his lawyer.
Immediately after the court on Tuesday fixed a new date for hearing of the case, police informer Peter Ngugi, who is the fifth accused person, asked his lawyer Nelius Kinyori not to represent him in the case.
Ngugi says that he is not comfortable with the services provided by lawyer Kinyori, saying that he prefers services of a male lawyer.
“I want a good lawyer ….a man like lawyer Sam Nyaberi,” he said.
Lawyer Kinyori, however, did not object to the application by his client saying that it’s his right to be represented by a lawyer of his choice.
“I’ve given this case my best shot and I have dedicated all my time to it, if he feels that he needs another lawyer, the court should go ahead for justice to be dispensed,” she said.
Kinyori told the court that she was surprised by Ngugi’s request since they’ve never had any issues.
“The only thing that I find improper is the request to have a male lawyer, that’s not constitutional,” the court heard.
The request by the accused person may derail the hearing, in case the new lawyer asks the case to start afresh.
Kinyori was a probono lawyer paid by the State, and the accused person wants the court to provide for one because he cannot afford a lawyer.
The prosecution on its part said that the process of getting a new lawyer should be done quickly.
Lawyer Fred Ojiambo for the family said that no lawyer or accused person should be allowed to derail the matter adding that the victims are traumatized.
“No lawyer or accused person should be allowed to continue with this shenanigans to undermine the legitimate process,” Ojiambo submitted.
The case will be heard from October 7, 2019 when Lawyer Cliff Ombeta, who is representing three of the accused persons, is expected to be well and ready to continue with the matter.
Judge Lessit directed that the matter be mentioned on July 24 for the court to get a medical report on Ombeta’s health and how he is fairing on.
The case was scheduled to be heard for two weeks beginning last week, but due to Ombeta’s supposed illness, the case didn’t proceed.
On Tuesday, lawyer Sam Nyaberi representing Ombeta told the court that he is still unwell and that he is on bed rest for three days.
Ombeta, who spoke to this reporter, said he was advised to avoid strong and bright lights for three days because of the medication he’s taking.
The court is expected to hear the confession of police informer Peter Ngugi which details how the killings were carried out.
So far a total of 35 witnesses have testified in the case.
For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel
Video Of The Day: | NEWSNIGHT | Punguza Mizigo, BBI or No Referendum?