Dusk-to-dawn curfew declared in Narok South as one killed in renewed clashes


Dusk-to-dawn curfew declared in Narok South as one killed in renewed clashes
Narok County Commissioner George Natembeya. PHOTO| COURTESY

In Summary

  • In a press briefing on Sunday, Narok County Commissioner George Natembeya said the 6pm to 6am curfew will also include ban on gatherings.
  • Mr. Natembeya said more security personnel will be deployed in the volatile areas, warning local residents against causing incitement.
  • Tension is high in Narok South as families flee their homes following the latest flare-up between the Maasai and Kipsigis.

A dusk-to-dawn curfew was on Sunday declared in Narok South following renewed tribal clashes that have so far left one person dead, 15 injured and over 25 homes destroyed.

In a press briefing on Sunday, Narok County Commissioner George Natembeya said the 6pm to 6am curfew affecting Ololoipangi, Oloruasi and neighbouring villages in Narok South will also include ban on gatherings.

Mr. Natembeya said more security personnel will be deployed in the volatile areas, warning local residents against causing incitement.

Tension is high in Narok South as families flee their homes following the latest flare-up between the Maasai and Kipsigis.

The clashes were sparked off when a cow went missing only to be found tied under a tree at the homestead of one of the rival community members.

Security officers from Narok County have moved to the region to restore calm.

Among the injured is a Kenya Forest Service officer who was attacked at a local shopping centre.

The latest fighting barely three days after Narok County Commissioner George Natembeya called on communities living in Narok to embrace peace during the festive season.

For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel



Video Of The Day: | THE MARA HEIST | Blatant plundering of Maasai Mara University funds

Avatar
Story By Ruben Mutochi
More by this author