Dutch authorities search for motive in tram shooting
Authorities in the Netherlands worked Tuesday to determine the motive behind a shooting on a tram that left three people dead and five others wounded in the city of Utrecht.
Police arrested a suspect identified as 37-year-old Turkish-born Gokmen Tanis hours after a manhunt that lasted several hours Monday.
By Tuesday they said no direct link had been found between the suspect and the shooting victims.
In addition to the main suspect, two other people have been detained, but authorities have not detailed their possible roles in the attack.
Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte said Monday a terror attack “could not be excluded,” while the Turkish news agency Anadolu reported that relatives of Tanis in Turkey said the shooting could have been part of a family dispute.
A Dutch regional prosecutor said the suspect had previously been arrested in the Netherlands, but did not give further details.
Security has been increased at Dutch airports, as well as mosques. Schools in Utrecht have been closed, and residents were advised to stay home.
Political parties suspended campaigning for provincial elections scheduled for Wednesday that will also determine the makeup of the Dutch senate.
Utrecht is the fourth-largest city in the Netherlands, known for its canals and large student population. Gun violence in the city is rare, as it is across the Netherlands.
For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel
Video Of The Day: Private hospitals on the spot for making patients commodities