Ebola treatment center in Congo reopens after attack


Ebola treatment center in Congo reopens after attack
Burned structures are seen after attackers set fire to an Ebola treatment center run by Medecins Sans Frontieres in the district of Katwa, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Feb. 25, 2019.

In Summary

  • The center run by Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) in the district of Katwa was set on fire Feb. 24 by unknown attackers, forcing staff to evacuate patients.
  • It reopened Saturday, the ministry said in a statement.

An Ebola treatment center located at the epicenter of the current outbreak in eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo has resumed operations after it was attacked last month, the country’s health ministry said Saturday.

The center run by Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) in the district of Katwa was set on fire Feb. 24 by unknown attackers, forcing staff to evacuate patients.

It reopened Saturday, the ministry said in a statement.

“For now it is managed by the ministry in collaboration with the World Health Organization (WHO) and UNICEF,” it said, referring to the U.N. children’s fund.

Aid workers have faced mistrust in some areas as they seek to contain the Ebola outbreak, which has become the most severe in Congo’s history. The WHO has said the distrust is fueled by false rumors about treatments and preference for traditional medicine.

Another MSF center in Butembo was also attacked in late February but reopened a week later.

MSF has pulled out from the area since the two attacks and has not said when it might resume medical activities.

The current Ebola epidemic, first declared last August, is believed to have killed at least 561 people so far and infected over 300 more.

For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel



Video Of The Day: CBK\'s guidelines on how to return 1000 notes

Avatar
Story By VOA
More by this author