Eight pupils out of danger after consuming poisonous fruits


Hospital waiting bay
Hospital waiting bay

Eight pupils from Kiangoma Private School in Kerugoya County were on Saturday evening admitted at Kerugoya County Referral Hospital after consuming poisoned wild fruits.

Confirming the incident, Kirinyaga County Medical Director Esbon Gaguo said the children were treated for poisoning early Saturday evening and released to go home that evening.

“From preliminary examinations, I can confirm that there was food poisoning, but they have been treated and there is nothing to worry about because they are out of danger,” said Gaguo.

The children aged between 7 and 11 started vomiting and complaining of stomachaches before being rushed to hospital.

Speaking to Citizen Digital, the children said they ate the fruits because they were sweet and they didn’t appear dangerous.

“We ate the poisonous fruits because they were so sweet and we thought they were guavas, and at one point we saw that the leaves of the fruits looked like those of a cassava, so we thought they are good for our consumption,” said one of the children.

According to the parents, they rushed the children to Baricho health centre where they were given first aid before being referred to Kerugoya Hospital for specialised treatment.

For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel



Video Of The Day: On Viusasa, now you can download your videos and play them back later

Story By Paul Baraza
More by this author