Family of woman, son who died Ethiopian Airlines crash ‘confused by lawyers’


Family of woman, son who died Ethiopian Airlines crash 'confused by lawyers'
Candle flames burn during a commemoration ceremony for the victims at the scene of the Ethiopian Airlines Flight ET 302 plane crash, near the town Bishoftu, near Addis Ababa, Ethiopia March 14, 2019.

The family of a Kenyan woman and her son who died in the Ethiopian Airlines crash have expressed uncertainty over lawyers seeking to sue Boeing on behalf of victims.

According to Amos Mbicha, who lost his sister and nephew, some Kenyan families are yet to sue for compensation because the law firms are too many.

“You look at the brochures, it all looks like everyone worked on the same cases,” Reuters quoted Mr. Mbicha as he added that: “It’s confusing for people.”

Also Read: Ethiopian Airlines crash families criticize Boeing over donation plan

Lawyers who represent victims of airline crashes reportedly work pro bono but expect to receive a percentage of the settlement or award.

Earlier this year, Boeing pledged $100 million (Ksh.10.3billion) to help families affected by 737 MAX crashes in Indonesia and Ethiopia.

The controversy however was that the funds would not be paid directly to the families but instead to governments and non-profit organisations.

Families of the crash victims rejected the offer.

“This is unacceptable. They did not consult us, we only learned this morning,” Reuters quoted one Quindos Karanja.

The retired Kenyan teacher whose wife, daughter and three grandchildren were killed in the March 10 disaster added: “This is not in good faith.”

On Tuesday, Boeing’s decision to keep the 737 MAX 8 model operational was further criticized.

A lawyer appointed as lead Counsel for the case demanded that Boeing and the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) hand over documents that justify the decision.

Robert Clifford said they will form key links for their argument that Boeing defectively designed the automated flight control system.

“The system is believed to have repeatedly forced the nose lower in both accidents,” Reuters reported on Tuesday.

Boeing is yet to comment on the matter even as they maintain that they are cooperating with investigators.

The FAA also says the decision not to ground the 737 MAX sooner is because they are following due process.

 

For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel



Video Of The Day: | WESTLANDS UNDERWORLD | Crooks, gov’t officials named in plot to grab man’s property

Avatar
Story By Imani Mitchelle
More by this author