Fatuma Ahmed becomes first Kenyan woman Major General
- This becomes the second time that Fatuma Ahmed has made history.
- Three years ago, she was appointed as Kenya's first female Brigadier.
- Other appointments include Lt. General Robert Kibochi (Vice Chief of the Kenya Defence Forces), Lt. General Raria Koipaton (Commander of the Kenya Army) and Maj. General Francis Ogolla (Commander of the Kenya Airforce)
Fatuma Ahmed has been appointed as Major General making her the first Kenyan woman soldier to attain the position.
President Uhuru Kenyatta announced that she will be the new Assistant Chief of the Defense Forces in charge of personnel and logistics.
Also Read: Kenya gets first female Brigadier
“It is my pride and joy today to witness the unveiling of the first Kenyan woman as a Major General in the history of our country.
This becomes the second time that Fatuma Ahmed has made history. Three years ago, she was appointed as Kenya’s first female Brigadier.
“I am counting on you to be a positive role model for other women in this Republic… prove to them that there is no limit for Kenyan women and that everything is possible,” the President said on Friday.
He was speaking during the swearing-in of new Kenya Defense Forces (KDF) top commanders at State House, Nairobi.
On her part, Maj. General Fatuma Ahmed thanked the President for the opportunity saying it is an honour to all women in the country.
“I am very happy with this new appointment because it shows that the President values the contribution of women to the development of our great nation,” Maj. General Fatuma Ahmed said.
Other major appointments announced on Friday include:
- Lt. General Robert Kibochi (Vice Chief of the Kenya Defence Forces) who takes over from Lt. General Joseph Kasaon after he retires.
- Lt. General Raria Koipaton (Commander of the Kenya Army)
- Maj. General Francis Ogolla (Commander of the Kenya Airforce)
“I take this opportunity to congratulate the new VCDF Gen. Kibochi, you have had a sterling career in the army and I look forward to you using skills and vast experience you have acquired in the Kenya Army to your new role in the service of the entire KDF as the VCDF,” said the President.
The President said he expects the newly-appointed senior officers to deploy their skills, knowledge and experience to build a strong and modern force.
He further assured the military of his support saying his Government will continue to offer them the necessary resources.
For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel
Video Of The Day: New Look 9PM News Team #ThisIsTheStory