Governor Waititu, his wife detained over Ksh.588M tenders
Kiambu Governor Ferdinand Waititu and his wife Susan Wangari Ndung’u are set to spend the night in police custody pending arraignment over alleged embezzlement of Ksh.588 million public funds.
The two presented themselves to the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC) on Sunday after Director of Public Prosecutions Noordin Haji ordered for their arrest on Friday.
They are accused alongside 11 others of siphoning millions of public funds through irregular procurement for upgrading of several roads in Kiambu County.
According to EACC, only two suspects are yet to be apprehended, as their whereabouts remain unknown.
The Governor arrived at Integrity Centre at around 9am on Sunday, with his wife presenting herself later in the day.
Kiambu County Chief Officer for Roads Luka Mwangi Waihenya and Beth Wangeci (Director Testimony Enterprises Ltd) also presented themselves before the EACC.
They are all in custody and are expected to be presented in court on Monday.
The DPP on Friday said he is satisfied with evidence against Waititu and 12 other suspects linked to the Ksh.588 million scandal.
“I find that the award of the contract for Ksh.588,198,328.20 in respect to tender No.CGK/RTPW&U/142/2017-2018- for the upgrading of various gravel roads to Bitumen surface in Thika, Limuru, Gatundu North, Juja and Ruiru sub-counties was skewed in favour of M/s Testimony Enterprises Ltd, and the county government officials were culpable,” said the DPP in a statement.
“The directors of M/s Testimony Enterprises Ltd were close associates of Ferdinand Ndung’u Waititu Babayao, the Governor of Kiambu County. The total amount of Ksh.147,274,055.39 have so far been irregularly paid to Testimony Enterprises Ltd in relation to the subject tender.”
Waititu and his co-accused are set to be charged with conflict of interest, dealing with suspect property, abuse of office, wilful failure to comply with the law relating to procurement and engaging in fraudulent practice.
Other charges likely to be preferred against them include fraudulent acquisition of public property and money laundering.
Here is the full list of suspects in the alleged Ksh.588 million scandal in Kiambu:
- Ferdinand Ndung’u Waititu Babayo (Kiambu Governor, Director Saika Two Estate Developers Ltd, Director Bienvue Delta Hotel)
- Susan Wangari Ndung’u (Director Bienvue Delta Hotel)
- Eng. Lukas Wahinya (Chief Officer Roads, Kiambu County
- Zakary Njenga Mbugua (Evaluation Committee member, Kiambu County)
- Joyce Ng’ina Musyoka (Evaluation Committee member, Kiambu County)
- Simon Kabocho Kang’ethe (Evaluation Committee member, Kiambu County)
- Anselm Gachukia Wanjiku (Evaluation Committee member, Kiambu County)
- Samuel Muigai Mugo (Evaluation Committee member, Kiambu County)
- Charles Chege Mbuthia (Director Testimony Enterprises Ltd)
- Beth Wangeci Mburu (Director Testimony Enterprises Ltd)
- Testimony Enterprises Ltd
- Saika Two Estate Developers Ltd
- Bienvue Delta Hot
For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel
Video Of The Day: | WESTLANDS UNDERWORLD | Crooks, gov’t officials named in plot to grab man’s property