Gov’t to appeal court ruling declaring lawyers and IPOA as essential services
The government has filed a notice of appeal challenging a court ruling that declared members of the Law Society of Kenya and the Independent Policing Oversight Authority (IPOA) as essential service providers.
In the notice of appeal, the government says it is dissatisfied with the ruling made by High Court judge Weldon Korir.
Justice Korir directed that the government include lawyers and IPOA in the list of “services, personnel or workers” who are exempted from the restrictions of the curfew imposed over the coronavirus outbreak.
The order issued by High Court judge Weldon Korir is supposed to be implemented within five days.
“An order of mandamus is issued compelling the 2nd Respondent to amend, within five days from the date of this judgement, the Schedule to the Public Order (State Curfew) Order, 2020 so as to include the 3rd Interested Party (IPOA) and the members of the Petitioner [LSK] in the list of “services, personnel or workers” exempted from the provisions of the Public Order (State Curfew) Order, 2020,” reads the ruling.
The ruling was issued in a case where LSK was also seeking suspension of the 7pm to 5am curfew imposed by President Uhuru Kenyatta on March 27, 2020. The court, however, declined to lift the curfew or extend the curfew to 10pm.
Here is a list of the essential services that have been spared from the curfew.
1. Medical Professionals&Health Workers
2. National Security, Administration and Co-ordination Officers
3. Public Health and Sanitation officers in the County Governments
4. Licensed Pharmacies and Drug Stores
5. Licensed Broadcasters and Media Houses
6. Kenya Power & Lightening Company Limited
7. Food Dealers, Distributors, Wholesalers & Transporters of Farm Produce
8. Licensed Supermarkets, Mini-Markets and Hypermarkets
9. Licensed Distributors and Retailers of Petroleum and Oil Products and Lubricants
10. Licensed Telecommunication Operators and Service Providers
11. Licensed Banks, Financial Institutions and Payment Financial Services
12. Fire Brigade and other Emergency Response Services
13. Licensed security firms
For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel
Video Of The Day: | BULLDOZERS FOR SANITIZERS | Families remain in the cold after evictions from Kariobangi sewage estate