Gov’t to evacuate 500 Kenyans in China, India next week at their own cost


Gov't to evacuate 500 Kenyans in China, India next week at their own cost
File image of Kenya Airways plane. PHOTO| COURTESY

The Kenyan government has announced that 500 Kenyans stranded in China and India following the Covid 19 outbreak will be evacuated back home from next week at their own cost.

Foreign Affairs Principal Secretary Ambassador Macharia Kamau on Tuesday said 300 Kenyans will be airlifted from India and 200 from China by Kenya Airways.

Amb. Kamau, in an interview with Inooro FM, said those in India will be brought back home on May 4 while those in China on May 8.

Most Kenyans who were left stranded in India had travelled for medical treatment.

The PS further revealed that at least 18 Kenyans have died in foreign countries since the outbreak of the coronavirus disease.

He said families willing to bring home the bodies of their relatives will have to bear the costs or allow them to be cremated in foreign land.

According to the PS, one Kenyan suffering from Covid 19 is admitted to the ICU in Sweden.

He further defended the government from claims of laxity in protecting its citizens in foreign countries saying Kenyans who were reportedly evicted from their homes in China had been allowed back to their houses.

 

For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel



Video Of The Day: Treasury allocates Ksh 4.5 B for procurement of vaccines

Avatar
Story By Benjamin Muriuki
More by this author