Gov’t urged to reconsider tough COVID-19 rules for bars, eateries
Pub owners now want the government to allow members who have complied with ministry of health regulations to be allowed to continue operating.
Pubs, Entertainment and Restaurants Association of Kenya has urged the State to reconsider the directives on COVID-19 rules for operation.
“Majority of the bars, eateries have put measures to tame the spread of the virus,” the officials said.
Frank Mbogo (Nairobi branch chairperson) and Mike Muthami (national director) lamented that close to 4000 workers in the sector are currently suffering after losing their jobs in the sector.
The association stated that since March, the industry has register a 70% drop in profits even as the government says there is economic stimulus support that they can benefit from.
The officials insisted that the 30-day ban that was extended last week will negatively impact the industry.
On Wednesday last week, President Uhuru Kenyatta extended the dusk-to-dawn curfew as well as closure of bars by a further 30 days in an effort to combat COVID-19.
“In the next 30 days, bar owners, in consultation with the Ministry of Health will develop self-regulating mechanisms as part of their civic responsibility to their clientele, in order to allow their resumption,” he said.
“The closure of bars and nightclubs is continued for a further 30 days. However, the prohibition against the sale of alcohol by licensed hotels with residence is vacated.”
The President also extended pushed the closing time for restaurants and eateries by one hour from the current 7pm to 8pm.
For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel
Video Of The Day: Treasury allocates Ksh 4.5 B for procurement of vaccines