Huruma demolitions suspended in wake of Kariobangi collapse
Demolition of sub-standard buildings that was expected to resume Thursday in Huruma Estate, Nairobi has failed to kick off.
Building Inspectorate Secretary Moses Nyakiongora said the demolitions have been suspended following logistical challenges, noting that the exercise requires a lot of planning since it involves more than one agency.
Speaking to Citizen Digital, Nyakiongora said the demolitions might be executed next week, but stressed that it was not a guarantee.
Huruma residents living near flats that have already been evacuated and are awaiting demolition have lamented that the flats pose a danger to them.
Nyakiongora intimated that more than 3,000 buildings in the city have already been inspected, with 384 being condemned, the highest number, 58, being located in Huruma.
On Tuesday, residents of Kariobangi heaved a sigh of relief after a five-storey building that had been marked for demolition collapsed.
According to residents, tenants in the building had moved out on Monday fearing that the building was going to collapse.
For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel
Video Of The Day: Former sports CS Hassan Wario convicted over Rio games scam