‘I will not resign,’ says Swazuri over Ruaraka land saga


'I will not resign,' says Swazuri over Ruaraka land saga
National Land Commission Chairman Muhammad Swazuri speaking to the press on Wednesday July 25, 2018. PHOTO| CITIZEN DIGITAL

In Summary

  • Speaking on the controversial acquisition of the Ruaraka land, Swazuri now claims he is being used as a scapegoat by those targeting Interior CS Fred Matiang’i.
  • The NLC boss further stated that his commission was ready to tackle head-on anybody else with information countering his, adding that he was at the commission to stay.
  • In July 2015, Afrison Export Import Limited, a company associated with Francis Mburu, sought the land commission's intervention for compensation for 13.5 acres of land occupied by Drive Inn Primary School and Ruaraka Secondary School.

National Land Commission Chairman Muhammad Swazuri has stated that he will not resign from his position over his decision to give a green light to payment of Ksh.1.5 billion to businessman Francis Mburu.

Speaking on the controversial acquisition of the Ruaraka land, Swazuri on Wednesday claimed he is being used as a scapegoat by those targeting Interior CS Fred Matiang’i.

“The Ministry of Education itself said ‘our schools are on private land, please proceed to acquire.’ The letters are here,” said Swazuri.

“People are interested in hitting at Matiang’i but they’re using Swazuri … Why don’t you call Matiang’i himself? He is there… just across here at Harambee house.”

The NLC boss further stated that his commission was ready to tackle head-on anybody else with information countering his position on the Ruaraka saga, adding that he was at the commission to stay.

“I hear some of you are expecting us to resign, we are here to do our work; it’s only cowards who resign. I am here; you cannot remove me, and neither can you do anything do to me,” he stated.

In July 2015, Afrison Export Import Limited, a company associated with Francis Mburu, sought the land commission’s intervention for compensation for 13.5 acres of land occupied by Drive Inn Primary School and Ruaraka Secondary School.

Convinced that the land was private, NLC went ahead to okay settlement of Ksh.3.2 billion, eventually securing the payment from the Ministry of Education.

Education CS Amina Mohammed, who was not at the ministry when the payment was okayed, told the Senate Committee on Monday that the payment was rushed, declining to take responsibility.

Just last week, Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko told a Senate Committee probing the matter, that the parcel of land is public and should not have been paid for.

Mr. Mburu also admitted to distributing the Ksh.1.5 billion to 30 bank accounts as a safety measure should the money be required back.

Swazuri now says he has no control over how such money is spent.

“Once we have paid, it’s your money… we don’t follow whether you have put in 24 accounts, it’s not our job,” stated Swazuri.

For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel



Video Of The Day: Man allegedly killed by uncle over Ksh.9M insurance cover #MurderForProfit

Story By Sam Gituku
More by this author