VIDEO: Jimmy Wanjigi finally resurfaces as police leave his home

Businessman Jimmy Wanjigi has come out of hiding after police left his residence in the wee hours of Wednesday morning.

Wanjigi had locked himself up in what is believed to be a strongroom since Monday, October 16, when police raided his home in Muthaiga, Nairobi, in an operation that would last over 48 hours.

Addressing the media today morning at his Muthaiga home, Wanjigi termed the raid on his home as an “absolute persecution and an unjustified siege his family need not to have gone through.”

He maintained his innocence, adding that were it not for the presence of Raila Odinga at his Muthaiga home, the situation would have been worse.

“Were it not for Raila, I don’t know where my family would be right now,” Wanjigi said in the press address called by opposition leaders.

On the issue of guns being recovered in his home, Wanjigi said the firearms recovered at his Nairobi residence were all registered but denied having any knowledge or connection to the cache of weapons found at a Malindi house.

He claimed that during the police siege on his 44 Muthaiga Road house, the seurity officers assaulted his wife, Irene Nzisa Wanjigi, for recording on video breakages and destruction that were happening in their house.

“My wife here was assaulted by a police officer all in the name of her trying to record what they were doing in this house. That is a complete and absolute persecution. If it was not for the will, strength and prayers of Kenyans we would not be standing here today,” the businessman stated.

In an emotive statement, Wanjigi added: “They tried to break in this home which my children have grown up in. This is very very personal. They came here more than 100 people like I am the worst person in the land…GSU officers armed to the teeth and we are innocent Kenyans. If they can do that to some of us who live in these suburbs, it must be frightening what is happening to the common mwananchi.”

Earlier on, the tycoon was captured sharing a hearty moment with a number of individuals at his mansion, where police yesterday recovered seven guns and 600 rounds of ammunition.

Businessman Jimmy Wanjigi poses for a photo after emerging from his strongroom where he had locked himself up for hours

A multi-agency team drawn from the elite Flying Squad, Special Crimes Prevention Unit and General Service Unit (GSU) could not manage to get Wanjigi out of his hideout.

They, however, left a trail of destruction after trying to force internal doors open using sledgehammers and bolt cutters as well as dismantling some of the surveillance cameras mounted at the premises.

Photo capturing a broken CCTV camera at Wanjigi’s home.

Raila arrived at Wanjigi’s home last evening after the High Court stopped the police from searching the premises or arresting the billionaire businessman until a case he filed is heard on Thursday, October 9.

Wanjigi sued Inspector General of Police Joseph Boinett and Director of Public Prosecutions Keriako Tobiko through his lawyers James Orengo, Otiende Amollo and Jackson Awele.

Government spokesman Eric Kiraithe dismissed claims that the raid was politically motivated, saying it was a clampdown on a “nefarious criminal”.

“The police are doing a very simple task, which is not politically motivated. The raid on Wanjigi’s home means we have a nefarious criminal in our midst, who has been uncovered, period,” said Kiraithe while addressing journalists at the Kenyatta International Convention Centre (KICC) on Tuesday morning.

For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel

Video Of The Day: | BULLDOZERS FOR SANITIZERS | Families remain in the cold after evictions from Kariobangi sewage estate

Story By Wahome Gitonga
More by this author