Kenya Power says probe underway after man electrocuted in Bungoma
Felix Kiplangat Bor, a boda boda rider, was electrocuted on Thursday while washing his bike at the Makutano junction in Kanduyi, according to reports.
According to witnesses, Felix, who had stopped to wash his bike, was struck and killed instantly.
He was survived by his widow and a toddler; fellow riders are now demanding that the lighting firm, Kenya Power, compensate his family, accusing it of negligence and laxity.
“Kenya Power wamelegea sana, ikifika kukata stima wanakimbia lakini maneno ingine wanalegea sana, ” a rider told Citizen TV “Tunaomba Governor wetu Wycliffe Wangamati atusaidie kutatua janga hili,”
The incident resulted in a massive traffic jam, with enraged riders blocking the road and demanding that the police and the power company take action.
Kenya Power issued a statement to the press following the incident, acknowledging receiving a report of “an unfortunate electrocution incident that occurred at Makutano junction.”
“Our team from the Bungoma office immediately went to the site and alerted the police of the incident, and the body of the deceased moved to the Bungoma District Hospital Mortuary,” Kenya Power said on Wednesday.
According to Kenya Power, an investigation into the matter has begun, which will help determine the next steps.
“Police have commenced investigations into this incident and the Company will work closely with them to ensure that we have a way forward,” the company said “Kenya Power would like to take this opportunity to express its condolences to Bor’s family and assure them of our commitment to conclude the matter.”
For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel
Video Of The Day: CAS Rachel Shebesh and athlete Asbel Kiprop share their mental health journeys