Moses Kuria says life in danger for attacking President Kenyatta, apologises again
Gatundu South Member of Parliament Moses Kuria claims that he has been receiving death threats following his criticism of President Uhuru Kenyatta.
Kuria said that following his statement on December 31, 2018 when he claimed President Kenyatta had abandoned the Mt. Kenya region in matters development he has been receiving personal attacks.
Addressing the media at Parliament buildings on Thursday afternoon, the Gatundu South MP said his relationship with the President is “excellent”, adding that “opportunists” were trying to create a rift between him and the Head of State.
“I have continued to receive a barrage of personalised attacks from people with personal and political scores to settle with me. whereas I have no problem with politicians taking opportunity to revive their dead or collapsing political careeers.
“I am troubled that they are doing it in a manner that is designed to create a rift between myself and the President with whom I enjoy excellent relations and who is indeed one of the 72,000 voters from Gatundu South who are defacto employers,” said Kuria.
He added that he has reported the threats to the Director of Criminal Investigations George Kinoti.
“I trust that this will put an end to the subtle and not too subtle threats to my life from opportunists details of which I shared with DCI George Kinoti,” said Kuria.
Speaking in Kiambu County on December 31, 2018 Kuria accused President Kenyatta of launching development projects in other parts of the country but neglecting his own home turf.
“Mimi nataka kusema hivi, tukifungua mwaka wa 2019 nyinyi mfikirie sana. Sisi mambo yetu ni kupiga kura, baada ya kupiga kura maendeleo tunapatiana kwingine… (This is what I want to say, as we usher in 2019 we must think very seriously. Our job is to vote, and then afterwards development goes to other areas,”
Barely a week later, Kuria retracted the December 31st statement and apologised, saying his remarks were taken out of context, further assuring that his relationship with the President is still solid.
“I refuse to be sidetracked by those people… I have never disrespected the Head of State. If in any case any word I uttered could have been misconstrued in a bad way, I offer my profuse apologies to the Head of State and to anyone who would want to misconstrue… because that was not my intention,” said Kuria in a press address last Friday.
However, on Monday, January 7, 2019 Kuria revived his criticism of the Jubilee administration after the President told him off for claiming that the Mount Kenya region had been neglected.
Kuria is now offering another apology to President Kenyatta, claiming that his initial remarks were directed at the Kiambu County leadership and not the Head of State.
“In that press conference, I offered my unqualified apology to the President for any hurt and misconception that my words may have created. I hereby reiterate that apology to the president and my fellow Kenyans,” said Kuria on Thursday.
He asserted that he fully supports the Building Bridges Initiative by President Kenyatta and Oppsoition leader Raila Odinga, adding that he is a beneficiary of the handshake.
“Since 2007, the only part of Kisumu I could venture into is Kisumu Airport. Thanks to the handshake, I can now freely walk in the streets of Kisumu,” said the MP.
For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel
Video Of The Day: Nairobi County proposes higher taxes for city residents