Man dies, 28 in hospital after consuming anthrax-infected meat


COW
Image of dead cow. PHOTO/FILE

In Summary

  • One of them was rushed to Kericho Sub-County Hospital but pronounced dead on arrival.
  •   The other residents were however treated and discharged.
  •   Samples of the carcass were later taken to the veterinary lab and a test for anthrax turned out positive.

A middle-aged man died and 28 others were hospitalized in Kericho after eating the carcass of a cow that died of anthrax.

According to Kenegut Location Chief Sammy Koech, residents had been instructed to slaughter the animal and bury the remains but refused.

He told journalists that they divided the meat among themselves and took it home.

“A team of health officials was dispatched to the area after residents started complaining of ill-health,” he said.

One of them was rushed to Kericho Sub-County Hospital but pronounced dead on arrival.

The other residents were however treated and discharged.

Samples of the carcass were later taken to the veterinary lab and a test for anthrax turned out positive.

The chief has urged residents to refrain from consuming meat labelled as unfit for human consumption and report similar cases to relevant authorities.

For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel



Video Of The Day: KEMRI scientists examine safety of anti-malarial drugs in first trimester of pregnancy

Avatar
Story By Bernard Rotich
More by this author