Elders endorse security operation in Kerio Valley
The Marakwet Council of Elders has expressed their support in the decision taken by the government to continue with the ongoing Security Operation in the volatile region of Kerio Valley.
The government, in a bid to solve the insecurity menace in the area that has since been dubbed the “valley of death”, decided to deploy Kenya Defense Forces (KDF) soldiers to contain the situation, a move that has been opposed by a section of leaders.
The elders said some schools that had been closed due to insecurity have been re-opened, while residents who had fled their homes have since returned because of the assured security.
The elders, while speaking to the press in Eldoret Town on Saturday, March 4, urged the government to investigate some of the leaders in the region who have expressed their displeasure concerning the operation, which they say has yielded much hope to residents who had grown tired of the constant banditry attacks.
Several leaders opposed the Deputy President’s shoot-to-kill order on bandits, terming it as irrational and against human rights.
“Let the government continue with the operation because we are seeing results in terms of schools re-opening and residents coming back to their homes because security has been beefed-up,” said the Chairman of the Council of Elders, Andrew Chemweno.
The elder’s sentiments follow claims made by West Pokot Senator Prof John Lonyangapuo and Sigor Lawmaker Philip Rotino that the current disarmament exercise in Kerio Valley is biased against one community.
Edited by Majanga Michael
For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel
Video Of The Day: | BULLDOZERS FOR SANITIZERS | Families remain in the cold after evictions from Kariobangi sewage estate