Matatu operators threaten action against plan to phase out 14-seater matatus


File image of matatus in Nairobi. PHOTO| COURTESY
File image of matatus in Nairobi. PHOTO| COURTESY

The Association of Matatu operators has protested over plans to phase out 14-seater matatus.

Speaking at a press conference in Nairobi on Sunday, the association’s officials said the National Transport and Safety Authority (NTSA) had not notified operators of the plan, which will now lead to millions of shillings in losses.

“The government and NTSA did not notify us about the phasing out of the 14-seater capacity, no official communication was done hence creating more tension in the industry, we are business people like any other in the country why shouldn’t the relevant authorities consult and plan in a manner that we are not frustrated,” said the association.

Saying the move would also lead to job losses, the association gave NTSA 72 hours to reverse the decision or face action.

“We are giving NTSA 72 hours to renew the RSL of the 14 seaters that were renewed since Monday and revoked for renewal totaling to 22o as per last week and the number is increasing failure to this we will take action,” added the operators.

Transport Cabinet Secretary James Macharia has told Citizen TV that 11 commuter trains and 64 high-capacity buses will be in Nairobi by February next year as part of plans to phase out minibuses, popularly known as matatus.

For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel



Video Of The Day: | WESTLANDS UNDERWORLD | Crooks, gov’t officials named in plot to grab man’s property

Citizen Reporter
Story By Citizen Reporter
More by this author