Ministry of Foreign Affairs: Racial attacks against Africans in China are being handled


Ministry of Foreign Affairs: Racial attacks against Africans in China are being handled

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has issued a statement in the wake of reports that Kenyans living in China were among African nationals targetted in race-fuelled discrimination.

In a statement to media houses, the Ministry acknowledged that that China had undertaken measures to test foreigners to curb imported and asymptomatic cases of the new coronavirus.

The same statement acknowledged that the measures had precipitated into “unfair responses against foreigners particularly of African origin”.

Further, the Ministry says that through its Beijing Embassy, it has seized the matter and is working closely with the Chinese authorities for a resolution.

“Local authorities in Guangzou have been tasked to take immediate action to safeguard the legitimate rights of the Africans concerned,” the statement read.

Kenyans who have been affected have been directed to remain in contact with the Embassy directly or through their Kenyan community leaders.

On Thursday, several Kenyans living in China on interview with Citizen TV said they had either been kicked out of their apartments or had received eviction notices.

One woman only identified as Brenda said she slept in the streets for two days after she was kicked out of her apartment.

She had also been denied entry into a Subway, with the operators saying they had received instructions barring “African” from using the transport system.

Two other women who are six and eight months pregnant respectively said they were worried the situation would escalate as they had been refused entry into local supermarkets.

For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel



Video Of The Day: | BULLDOZERS FOR SANITIZERS | Families remain in the cold after evictions from Kariobangi sewage estate

Avatar
Story By Tonny Ndungu
More by this author