Moi burial: First 30,000 mourners to receive free soda, bread
The government will provide free snacks for the first 30,000 mourners at the burial of the late former President Daniel arap Moi scheduled to take place at Kabarak in Nakuru on Wednesday.
Speaking during a press briefing on Monday, Rift Valley Regional Commissioner George Natembeya said each of the 30,000 mourners will be handed a soda, bread, water and a programme of the event on arrival at the burial venue.
The Regional Commissioner disclosed that 30,000 seats have been hired and set up under a mega tent for members of public expected at the event. He, however, noted that there will be enough space to host even more people should the number exceed 30,000.
For transport logistics, Natembeya said all school buses in Nakuru County will be availed to ferry people from around the area to Kabarak, adding that the County Government will also chip in to provide more vehicles.
The vehicles are set to begin picking members of public from as early as 4.30am on Wednesday.
Moi succumbed to a long illness at the Nairobi Hospital on Tuesday last week with his body being moved to the Lee Funeral Home.
On Saturday, President Uhuru Kenyatta kicked off a three-day ceremony for members of public to view Moi’s body at Parliament buildings.
A memorial service in honour of the late President will be held on Tuesday at the Nyayo stadium ahead of the funeral on Wednesday.
For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel
Video Of The Day: Former sports CS Hassan Wario convicted over Rio games scam