Moi Girls alleged rape victims were forced to shower: Amina
- CS Amina further hit out at the school matron who she said was asleep at the time and despite girls banging her door, she did not respond until it was too late.
- The CS further intimated that there have been previous unsuccessful attempts to violate the girls since last year.
- Construction workers at Moi Girls School reportedly kept writing messages to the students; they would even write on bills.
Education CS Amina Mohammed has faulted adults who were within the Moi Girls High School during the alleged rape incident for misguiding the students.
Speaking when she appeared before the Parliamentary Education Committee on Tuesday; the CS narrated how the matron, mistress and teachers ordered the girls to go shower, dress up and go to class.
“They were told that the incident was a small thing and they should not make a big deal out of it since it could tarnish the school’s name,” she said.
CS Amina further hit out at the Moi Girls School matron who apparently was asleep at the time and despite girls banging her door, she did not respond until it was too late.
The Education CS further indicated that there existed security lapses that could have made it easier for the culprits to carry out the crime.
The CS further intimated that there have been previous unsuccessful attempts to violate the girls since last year.
Construction workers at Moi Girls School reportedly kept writing messages to the students; they would even write on bills.
According to the CS, no action was taken despite the students reporting the matter several times. Security guards could also not explain the incidents.
Other security loopholes include a porous fence, open dormitories at night, dysfunctional CCTV cameras, laxity by the school’s Board to address safety and the fact that visitors did not sign out while leaving the compound.
The committee however heard how the Education Ministry together with Interior ministry has since moved to remove kiosks around school, seal fence openings as well as put in place a new security company.
Five police officers have since been deployed to the school, a new Board and Parents Teachers Association set up.
The report from the CS follows claims of rape of three girls at the school on June 2, 2018.
According to the police, the affected girls were taken to Nairobi Women’s Hospital where test results confirmed that they were violated.
Police further revealed that the girls may have been attacked at around 2am between their dormitories and bathrooms.
For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel
Video Of The Day: Man allegedly killed by uncle over Ksh.9M insurance cover #MurderForProfit