Moi Girls fire death toll hits nine


Moi Girls fire death toll hits nine
Education CS, Fred Matiang'i during a press briefing on Monday, September 4 2017. PHOTO BY TABITHA ROTICH

Death toll in Moi Girls High School, Nairobi fire has hit nine

The Education Cabinet Secretary Fred Matiang’i said investigators have established that the fire was not an accident but arson and police are following leads on specific suspects.

Addressing journalist on Monday, Dr Matiang’i CS said that his ministry is working hard to finalize probe so that the school re-opens on Friday, September 8, for learning not to be interrupted.

“What happened in Moi Girls is very unfortunate and we will know in due time the main suspect. We will do whatever it takes to support the school although it is painful we lost some students,” said Dr Matiang’i.

However, the Education boss said that the ministry has been implementing radical changes in schools to ensure the discipline of students following a report by a team of investigators who probed last year’s numerous cases of school fires.

“So far we have implemented 11 of the recommendations of the report including in areas of management, inspection, quality assurance and staffing issues. However there is need to work more on students’ discipline and parental responsibility,” added Dr Matiang’i.

For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel



Video Of The Day: High amounts of Mercury, Copper found in contraband sugar

Citizen Reporter
Story By Citizen Reporter
More by this author