Mombasa’s Old Town residents to be tested by force if they don’t show up willingly- Joho
Mombasa Governor Hassan Joho has threatened that residents of Old Town in Monbasa will be tested for coronavirus by force should they not participate in the ongoing mass testing willingly.
Speaking from Mombasa on Saturday, Joho said it was disheartening that only 131 people in a town with a population of 28,000 people had availed themselves for the tests in the last three days.
At the same time, Joho threatened that a total lockdown was an option should the residents continue to flout the laid-down directives.
It has emerged that some residents of the busy commune have been going to the Mosque despite a ban on public gatherings of any nature.
Further, Joho noted that 6 of the 11 Mombasa coronavirus fatalities are from Old Town saying it was alarming that area residents were downplaying the seriousness of virus.
Mvita MP Abdulswamad Shariff Nassir who was at the same press conference asked the area residents to treat the coronavirus seriously, noting that Mvita was the most affected region in the county.
Meanwhile, Mombasa County Commissioner Gilbert Kitiyo has asked Mombasa residents to cease all movement into Old Town which has so far confirmed 38 cases.
He said that police officers in the county have been deployed to mosques to ensure no gatherings happen.
At the same time, Kitiyo has told restaurant owners in Old Town that no hotel will be opened until the situation is contained.
The latest comes a day after Health CS Mutahi Kagwe said Mombasa situation was worrying and would necessitate steeper measures.
For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel
Video Of The Day: | EVENTS 2020 | Raila Odinga’s reflections on 2020 and expectations for 2021 228 views