Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko grilled at EACC headquarters
- Governor Sonko was last week summoned by the commission over graft claims in the awarding of tenders in the financial years 2017/2018 and 2018/2019.
- Sources who spoke to Citizen Digital said the flashy governor presented himself at Integrity Centre at around 7am Tuesday morning and only stepped out at about 4:20pm.
Nairobi County Governor Mike Sonko was on Tuesday grilled at the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC) over alleged irregularities in garbage collection tenders worth over Ksh.160 million.
Governor Sonko was last week summoned by the commission over graft claims in the awarding of tenders in the financial years 2017/2018 and 2018/2019.
Sources who spoke to Citizen Digital said the flashy governor presented himself at Integrity Centre at around 7am Tuesday morning and only stepped out at about 4:20pm.
Sonko, addressing the press as he left the anti-graft body offices, said: “We took long because we recorded 13 statements…there were 13 companies involved, they were questioning the procurement process.”
“This is a matter that was previously raised by the environment committee of the assembly questioning how some of the companies were awarded tenders without proper qualification and due process of the law.”
He further added that: “As the CEO of the county, I do not sit in the procurement committee, I am not the accounting officer, but I’ve got the general responsibility for my State officers”
Sonko was initially scheduled to appear before EACC on Friday but instead requested to be allowed to present himself on September 3 due to what he termed as “unavoidable circumstances.”
The governor was summoned after a report from the Nairobi County Assembly Public Accounts Committee revealed that Ksh.162 million paid to at least 11 contracted garbage collection firms could not be accounted for.
The report suggested that over Ksh.202 million was paid out to the firms but only Ksh.40 million was regularly spent, hence raising eye brows over the remaining Ksh.162 million.
According to the committee, the county government could not provide payment vouchers made to these companies or contract documents to support the payment of this amount.
For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel
Video Of The Day: | BULLDOZERS FOR SANITIZERS | Families remain in the cold after evictions from Kariobangi sewage estate