New secondary school in Nairobi for Form One students who missed slots
The Education Ministry has set up a new secondary school in Nairobi County to accommodate some of 2019 KCPE candidates who had not joined Form One as of Monday.
A statement from the ministry said the new school has been created within Riruta Satellite Primary School in Dagoretti Sub County: 24 students have been enrolled.
“They were among 45 young people who the Ministry, in conjunction with the Ministry of Interior and National Coordination, mobilized with a view to enrolling them in Form I in the area,” the statement reads.
Dr. Belio Kipsang, the PS for Basic Education, led the exercise that saw other students distributed to Dagoretti mixed, Mutuini, Ruthimuthu and Beth Mugo secondary schools.
Speaking at Riruta Satellite Primary School, Dr. Kipsang said the ministry would provide 50 desks, chairs, textbooks for the students.
“The government wants to make sure that all children are in school,” Dr. Kipsang noted.
According to him, the Teachers’ Service Commission (TSC) will send a Principal, Deputy and teachers to ensure the students are taught.
He added that TSC had recruited 9,000 teacher interns who will help meet the instructional needs of the students.
Dr. Kipsang reiterated that the 100% transition policy is aimed at ensuring that all children have access to basic education,.
“The Government has reserved Ksh. 22,240 for all the students who sat for KCPE last year,” he said in the statement.
Dr Kipsang further noted that over a million children have joined secondary schools which constitutes 96% of the students who sat for KCPE last year.
He urged parents to seek the assistance of local administrators to secure places in day secondary schools nearest to them for admission of their children to Form One.
Mr. Patrick Mwangi, the area Deputy County Commissioner, said the new secondary school will create opportunities for students to easily access secondary education.
He said the area had about 200 children who had not joined secondary schools.
“We shall mobilise all of them from their homes to ensure they join secondary education,” said Mr. Mwangi.
For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel
Video Of The Day: | BULLDOZERS FOR SANITIZERS | Families remain in the cold after evictions from Kariobangi sewage estate