North Eastern boss rules out Shabaab in Mandera bus attack
North Eastern Regional Coordinator Mohamud Saleh has ruled out the involvement of Al Shabaab fighters in the Mandera bus attack that took place Friday morning.
During the 10am incident that happened between Elwak and Wargadud at Corner -S, six people were killed and scores injured after gunmen opened fire on two buses.
The incident involved Tawakl and E-coach buses that were ferrying passengers from Elwak to Mandera Town when gunmen flagged them down but the drivers sped off.
This prompted the gunmen to fire randomly at the second bus killing one Kenya Police Reservist (KPR) on the spot while the other five passengers were shot as they tried to run for their lives into the thickets.
Saleh said that the first bus managed to escape without any bullet.
He said that preliminary investigations by the security officers on the ground revealed that the attack was not carried out by the Al Shabaab as alleged.
He dismissed the notion that whenever an incident happens in North Eastern, it is always Al Shabaab who are involved.
Saleh added that local militia could have been involved saying that intelligence officers would have spotted Al Shabaab fighters long before they enter the country.
The regional boss added that all passengers have so far been accounted for.
For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel
Video Of The Day: Some MPs plan to shoot down Uhuru\'s proposal on VAT