NYS fraud case: Three suspects turned to State witnesses


NYS fraud case: Three suspects turned to State witnesses
The trial of former National Youth Service (NYS) Director-General Richard Ndubai, former Youth and Gender Principal Secretary Lilian Omollo and other suspects charged with theft of funds at NYS begins on Monday, October 29. PHOTO| DZUYA WALTER

In Summary

  • The prosecution further told Trial Magistrate Douglas Ogoti that the charges against the three had been withdrawn.
  • The three are now set to testify against former National Youth Service (NYS) Director-General Richard Ndubai, former Youth and Gender Affairs Principal Secretary Lilian Omollo and other suspects charged in the scandal.
  • The trial of Mr. Ndubai, Ms. Omollo and other suspects charged with theft of funds at NYS is set to begin on Monday, October 29.

Three suspects in the second National Youth Service (NYS) scandal have turned to State witnesses, the prosecution told the court on Monday.

The prosecution further told Trial Magistrate Douglas Ogoti that the charges against the three had been withdrawn.

The three are now set to testify against former National Youth Service (NYS) Director-General Richard Ndubai, former Youth and Gender Affairs Principal Secretary Lilian Omollo and other suspects charged in the scandal.

The trial of Mr. Ndubai, Ms. Omollo and other suspects charged with theft of funds at NYS is set to begin on Monday, October 29.

The accused persons in the first phase of the fraud case are 37, among them Mr. Ndubai and Ms. Omollo, and the case involves theft of Ksh.225 million from the youth agency.

They are charged with offences of conspiracy to commit an offence of economic crime, abuse of office, willful failure to comply with applicable procedures and guidelines relating to management of public funds.

Other charges include neglect of official duties, fraudulently making payments, breach of trust, making documents without authority, uttering false documents, false accounting, fraudulent acquisition of public property, dealing with suspect property and money laundering.

The accused persons comprise senior, middle and lower cadre government officials believed to have played key roles in the commission of the said offences.

The prosecution will be demonstrating to the court how the accused colluded and facilitated payment of Ksh.225 million to fictitious entities.

“The Prosecution shall endeavour to prove the ingredients of each and every charge against the accused persons through primary evidence, expert witnesses, graphs, electronic evidence and through cooperating witnesses who were accused persons and now state witnesses,” said the prosecution.

The court consolidated the 10 files involving the scandal and categorised them into three separate cases whose hearing is set to go on until March 2019.

The hearing of the case which begins on Monday, October 29 is scheduled to go on until December 7, 2018.

For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel



Video Of The Day: On Viusasa, now you can download your videos and play them back later

Story By Dzuya Walter
More by this author