NYS scandal suspects released on Ksh.5M bond


NYS scandal suspects released on Ksh.5M bond
National Youth Service (NYS) scandal suspect Ann Ngirita in court. PHOTO| COURTESY

In Summary

  • The Judge further directed the applicants and the co-accused to deposit their travel documents with the court.
  • They are not leave the jurisdiction of the Nairobi Chief Magistrate without prior orders by the court.
  • The accused persons are also not allowed to go to their former offices unless accompanied by an officer.

By Dzuya Walter and Wangui Ngechu

National Youth Service (NYS) scandal suspects including PS Lillian Omollo, former Director General Richard Ndubai as well as Ngirita family members have been released on bail.

On Tuesday morning, the court granted them Ksh.1million cash bail, Ksh.5million bond and a Ksh.2million surety each.

Also Read‘I have no sexual relations with Ngirita,’ says NYS graft chief investigator

“Even as I grant bail am aware of the seriousness of the charges the applicants and co-accused and range from senior government officers to junior officers,” Justice Hedwig Ongudi ruled.

“It is true that the charges they are facing are serious and the penalty of the offenses very stiff,” she said.

The Judge further directed the applicants and the co-accused to deposit their travel documents with the court.

They are not leave the jurisdiction of the Nairobi Chief Magistrate without prior orders by the court.

The accused persons are also not allowed to go to their former offices unless accompanied by an officer.

The NYS suspects are also were also ordered not to make contact with any of the staff or any witnesses lined up by the Prosecution.

The accused persons are also required to report to the Directorate of Criminal Investigation (DCI) offices once every week until further orders by the trial court.

The Judge further directed that an officer be assigned at the DCI offices for the aforementioned directive.

According to Justice Ogundi, the Prosecution did not present any material evidence to show that the accused persons can interfere with the witnesses as was previously alleged.

Also ReadPS Lillian Mbogo Omollo back to Lang’ata Women’s Prison

Justice Ongudi further stated that the Prosecution failed to prove how the applicants and co-accused persons are a threat to national security and an impediment to the case.

The accused are also required to attend to all court mentions and hearings without fail.

Some of the charges against the suspects include abuse of office, failing to prevent crime, failing to adhere to procurement laws and stealing by servant.

The Prosecution said it has 10 files on different transactions in the multibillion shilling scandal and wants each file treated separately.

For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel



Video Of The Day: | NEWSNIGHT | Punguza Mizigo, BBI or No Referendum?

Avatar
Story By Citizen Team
More by this author