Over 200 rushed to Meru hospital after consuming meat from sick cow


Over 200 rushed to Meru Hospital over food poisoning
Over 200 rushed to Meru Hospital over food poisoning

Over 200 residents of Karandine Village in Imenti South, Meru County have been rushed to hospital after consuming meat suspected to be from a cow infected with anthrax.

The residents were taken to Kanyakine Level Four Hospital where 40 of them were admitted as other people continue to be ferried to the hospital from the village.

Area MCA Kaumbuthu Chabari has warned residents against buying meat from unregistered butcheries following the incident.

He further urged anyone in the area who is unwell and has not visited the hospital to do so.

Veronica Kathambi, a resident, said she bought the meat in the area and prepared it but after eating it she started feeling unwell.

Another resident, Joseph Babu, told Citizen Digital that the owner of the cow allegedly slaughtered it after he noticed it was sick and was not responding to treatment.

He then proceeded to supply the meat in the village, including hotels.

The County Executive Committee member in charge of health has now ordered the arrest of the owner of the cow, Muthomi Mburia, and Kibia Lazaro, the Veterinary officer in connection with the incident.

Reports reaching Citizen Digital allege that the owner of the cow and his family did not consume the meat, raising questions on whether he knew the meat was contaminated.

The incident comes barely two weeks after one person died while three others were admitted at the Kapsabet County Referral Hospital after they suffered suspected food poisoning at Kipchabo Village, Nandi County.

The victims, who were all from one family, are suspected to have taken some food presumed to have been contaminated.

The family members suffered excruciating pain late in the night followed by diarrhoea and vomiting of blood.

The incident followed another similar one where at least 120 students at the Malindi Premier School were hospitalised with severe stomach upsets in September in what was believed to be food poisoning.

Confirming the incident, Mr Gideon Ombongi, Malindi Deputy County Commissioner, said the 11pm incident affected primary school pupils, secondary school students, a teacher and a cook at the private school.

For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel



Video Of The Day: Former sports CS Hassan Wario convicted over Rio games scam

Avatar
Story By Lisa Kamau
More by this author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *