Over 30 families left homeless as fire guts down houses in Kangemi


Over 30 families left homeless as fire guts down houses in Kangemi
Fire. Photo/FILE

In Summary

  • Reports indicate that the fire was caused by a candle in one of the houses before spreading to other adjacent structures.
  • Little could be salvaged from the houses as the fire was worsened by the explosion of gas cylinders in the affected houses.
  • According to the locals, the owner of the house where the fire began was drunk when he lit the candle.

Over 30 families were left homeless after a fire razed down their houses on Saturday night in Kangemi, Nairobi.

Reports indicate that the fire was caused by a candle in one of the houses before spreading to other adjacent structures.

Little could be salvaged from the houses as the fire was worsened by the explosion of gas cylinders in the affected houses.

According to the locals, the owner of the house where the fire began was drunk when he lit the candle.

This came hours after another fire incident at Silanga area in Kibera, Nairobi where more than 50 people were left homeless and their property destroyed.

Victims say a stove exploded in one of the houses, causing a blaze that destroyed more than 30 houses.

The fire is reported to have started at  7pm on Friday evening.

For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel



Video Of The Day: On Viusasa, now you can download your videos and play them back later

Story By Harun Njoroge
More by this author