How to pay NHIF via MPesa
The National Health Insurance Fund (NHIF) is a public medical cover that helps Kenyans pay for services from accredited facilities.
Some of the services offered to NHIF members include maternal care, inpatient and outpatient services, reproductive health services, cancer treatment, renal dialysis and radiology imaging.
Membership can be through one’s employer or on an individual basis.
“NHIF registers all eligible members from both the formal and informal sector. For those in the formal sector, it is compulsory to be a member,” NHIF states.
Requirements are copies of national I.D., employer appointment or introduction letter, colored passport photo and original plus copies of birth certificates for dependants.
Contributions for employees in the formal sector are automatically remitted by the employer while those in the informal sector can pay via MPesa or through the bank.
For existing members, you can check your account status by using your mobile phone:
- Compose a new sms
- Type the letters “ID”, a space, then your
- ID number (or passport number if applicable) e.g ID 12345678
- Send to 21101
“Members under the voluntary category pay Kshs.500 per month (Kshs.6000 per annum) and those in formal employment make contributions as per their income,” NHIF says.
The following are the steps used to pay for NHIF using MPesa:
- Go to the MPesa menu and select Lipa na MPesa option
- Choose the Paybill option
- Select enter business number which is 200222 (NHIF business number)
- Choose the account number and insert your national Id number.
- Put the amount you want to pay
- Insert your MPesa pin and send
- You will receive a confirmation screen from MPesa to validate the payment you are making.
For existing members who have stayed for over 12 months without payment, NHIF is offering a reprieve.
“You can take advantage of our amnesty to reactivate your NHIF card by paying Ksh.1,500 via MPesa Paybill 200222,” a tweet from NHIF reads.
The card will become active again for use after two months from the date of payment.
For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel
Video Of The Day: | THE EXPLAINER | Laboratory procedures for Covid-19 testing