Pressure mounts as Uhuru takes charge of fresh NYS Ksh.8B scandal probe


Pressure mounts as Uhuru takes charge of fresh NYS Ksh.8B scandal probe
National Youth Service (NYS) officers during a pass out parade. PHOTO| COURTESY

In Summary

  • Citizen TV has learnt that last month, President Uhuru Kenyatta took charge of overseeing the probe.
  • The President is said to have given the multi-agency team probing the scandal a six-week period to finish investigations and present him an actionable report that would unmask the culprits behind the heist at NYS.
  • The investigating body is, however, said to have asked for more time to carry out the probe after the six-week deadline lapsed on Friday last week.

Pressure is mounting on a multi-agency team working to uncover the faces behind the Ksh.8 billion fresh scam that has hit the National Youth Service (NYS).

Citizen TV has learnt that last month, President Uhuru Kenyatta took charge of overseeing the probe.

The President is said to have given the multi-agency team probing the scandal a six-week period to finish investigations and present him an actionable report that would unmask the culprits behind the heist at NYS.

The investigating body is, however, said to have asked for more time to carry out the probe after the six-week deadline lapsed on Friday last week.

Meanwhile, operations at NYS and the State Department of Public Service and Youth appear to be on their knees.

According to a correspondent to the president from Public Service Cabinet Secretary Pro. Margaret Kobia, the grilling of senior officers in the ministry linked to the scandal is hampering optimal performance.

Kobia says the scandal has erupted at a time when her ministry in particular NYS and State Department of Public Service and Youth are involved in driving crucial aspects of the president’s Big 4 programs

As such, the public service CS wants action taken to ensure smooth running of operations at the NYS even as investigations proceed. Kobia asked the president for a strategy on working around the affected senior officials linked to the fresh heist at the youth agency.

Prof. Kobia further held a meeting with the president on May 10, 2018 where she was tasked to monitor the probe being undertaken in her ministry.

For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel



Video Of The Day: Some MPs plan to shoot down Uhuru\'s proposal on VAT

Story By Sam Ogina
More by this author