Prince Harry and wife Meghan Markle to ‘step back’ from being senior royals
Prince Harry and his wife Meghan Markle plan to step back from their roles as senior members of Britain’s royal family.
On Wednesday, the couple announced that they would now work to become financially independent.
“We now plan to balance our time between the United Kingdom and North America, continuing to honour our duty to The Queen, the Commonwealth and our patronages,” the statement posted on their Instagram page reads.
The couple said splitting their time between Britain and North America will enable them to raise their son “with an appreciation for the royal tradition into which he was born, while also providing our family with the space to focus on the next chapter”.
This would include the launch of a new charity, Harry and Meghan said.
Harry, 35, is currently sixth in line to the throne.
Media speculation had been rife that he and Meghan, 38, planned to step back from public life ever since their return this month from a six-week holiday in Canada.
Last year, Harry said he had had disagreements with his older brother, Prince William, who is second in line to the throne.
Both Harry and Meghan have had a tense relationship with some British newspapers.
They got married in May 2018 in a lavish ceremony at Windsor Castle, west of London.
In May 2019, the couple formally known as the Duke and Duchess of Sussex had their first child: Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor.
For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel
Video Of The Day: | BULLDOZERS FOR SANITIZERS | Families remain in the cold after evictions from Kariobangi sewage estate