Raila dares Nkaissery to arrest Governor Joho over firearms directive


Raila
CORD leader Raila Odinga (right) and Mombasa Governor Hassan Joho during their meeting in Nairobi on Monday

CORD leader Raila Odinga has cautioned Interior Cabinet Secretary Joseph Nkaissery against attempts to arrest Mombasa Governor Ali Hassan Joho.

Speaking outside the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) offices in Nairobi on Tuesday after a botched meeting with the commission officials, Raila said that CORD would not allow Joho to be arrested saying if Nkaissery made true his threat, they would mobilise their supporters to storm the particular police station and free him.

In his address, Joho said that he does not fear arrest adding that Nkaissery should direct him to the nearest police station to report.

CORD co-principals Moses Wetangula and Kalonzo Musyoka also dared Nkaissery to arrest Joho saying they will not accept any attempts to apprehend the Mombasa Governor.

The CORD leaders’ pronouncements were in response to Nkaissery’s directive ordering Joho to surrender his firearms by 2PM on Tuesday or face arrest.

Speaking on Tuesday, Nkaissery said that Governor Joho will be arrested if he does not adhere to the directive.

He noted that Joho can only appeal against the order after he has surrendered the firearms.

“Governor Joho has until 2PM to surrender his firearms failure to which he will be arrested. The law is very clear on the mandate I was given,” said Nkaissery.

In an attempt to intervene, Kakamega Senator Dr. Bonny Khalwale urged Nkaissery to seek alternative mechanism to resolve the issue saying the public opinion has turned the matter political.

Joho has in the past days stated that he will not surrender his guns since he has not misused them in the over 20 years of possession.

Speaking in Mombasa last week, the governor said government’s attempts to withdraw his firearm licences was ill-intended and aimed at frustrating him.

Joho maintained his stand on Monday, accusing the government of using the bodyguard and firearm debate to cover up abuses allegedly committed during the Malindi by-election.

Joho claimed that the government deployed the military, complete with armoured personnel carriers, during the Malindi by-election to scare the electorates into supporting the Jubilee candidate Philip Charo in the by-election.

“Mr Nelson Marwa was in charge of the National Government security agencies that blockaded Malindi. The Interior Ministry presided over a major scare mongering campaign which supervised the blockade of Malindi with military personnel on tankers,” claimed Joho.

The ODM Deputy party leader also attributed his current run-ins with the government to frustrations from the government after they lost in the Malindi by-election.

On Monday, Governor Joho met CORD leader Raila Odinga at his office at Capitol Hill in Nairobi to discuss his stifle with the government and Malindi by-election.

Mtengo won the March 7th by-election garnering 15,582 votes beating Jubilee’s Philip Charo who got 9,243 votes.

Odinga reportedly encouraged the governor to remain firm in his beliefs and commitment to the party and fight for what is right for his people while assuring him of his personal support.

The Mombasa Governor has already filed an appeal against the order to surrender his firearms saying Chief Licensing Officer Samuel Kimaru had failed to adhere to statutory provisions guiding the revocation of firearms.

In the appeal filed through lawyer Ahmednasir Abdullahi on Monday, Joho stated that Kimaru considered irrelevant issues in making the decision noting that his decision was neither independent nor impartial.

Ironically, the appeal has been made to Interior Cabinet Secretary Joseph Nkaissery.

@benjaminwafula

For Citizen TV updates
Join @citizentvke Telegram channel



Video Of The Day: | TALES OF LAMU | Island grappling with an acute shortage of fresh water

Avatar
Story By Benjamin Wafula
More by this author